Does anyone else like chai tea? I was never a tea drinker until college and made friends with a lot of people that drank tea. All of a sudden I was introduced to these wonderful new hot drinks (had to stay warm in drizzly Seattle somehow) and fell in love with chai tea.
If you order it at a coffee shop, you are most likely getting a pre-made mix of some sort. These can rack up really quickly in the calorie department. A nonfat Starbucks chai tea latte has 160 calories and the popular TAZO chai tea concentrate has 70 calories for 4 oz which only increases once you prepare it with milk.
A real chai tea is brewed black tea, cardamom, cloves, ginger, sugar and milk. The grocery store also sells chai tea bags which are good but different.
I made this recipe on a whim one day and it turned out lovely! I hope you like it too.
- 1 chai tea bag
- ¼ cup dry old fashioned oats
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- ⅛ tsp ground cloves
- ⅛ tsp cardamom
- ½ packet stevia
- Heat a mug of water in the microwave until water is almost boiling
- Remove and place tea bag in mug, let brew for 5 minutes
- Place oats in microwaveable bowl and add ½ cup of the hot brewed tea
- Microwave oats for 1 minute or until cooked
- Stir in spices and stevia