It’s tank top time! How’s your shoulders?
Front raises are a challenging exercise that will sculpt those rounded shoulders. It doesn’t take much weight to feel the burn up there. However it’s important to be sure that you aren’t using other parts of your body to compensate for your shoulders. Start off with a light weight (remember this: it’s one of the few times I’ll say that 3 pound pink dumbbells are ok) and gradually increase once you get stronger.
You’ll see this exercise often in your workouts because it’s fairly simple and yields great results.
- Hold dumbbells in each hand in front of your body, palms facing you
- Contract your shoulders and bring your arms straight out in front of you to shoulder level
- Slowly lower
- Keep your core straight and tight. You don’t want to compensate in your back or chest
- Don’t shrug your shoulders, keep them as low as you can
- Use light enough weight that you can complete up to 8 reps
- Breath out on the upward motion to help you get the weight up.