Instead of a strength move, we’re looking at a stretch this week. As I’ve mentioned before, our lower backs are often tight from sitting all day. I love to use scorpions to warm up my back and stretch out my hips before working out.
It’s important to stretch and strengthen in order to maintain a balanced posture and muscle distribution.
This exercise is a dynamic stretch, so it helps to increase range of motion, raise body temperature and reduce risk of injury while exercising. Dynamic stretches utilize a stretching movement, but aren’t held like normal static stretches.
There’s been a lot of studies that this type of stretching increases performance and strength. So it’s definitely a great one to add to your warm up routine!
- Lay flat on the ground with your arms at a T.
- Activate your glutes to bring your leg up and over your body, reaching for the opposite hand.
- Immediately come back to the starting position and repeat.
- Try to keep your opposite shoulder on the ground while doing this exercise.
- To add to your warm up routine, perform two sets of 5-10 repetitions.